Thursday, November 25, 2010

Wahoo! It's new project time

Nothing gets me excited like the start of a new project... the joy of a garment and I building our relationship as I sculpt life and form into its fibres... the anticipation of what it will end up like after I decide on my finishing touches...

Many of my friends get shopping highs, but I honestly enjoy this much more! And I can rest assured knowing that no-one (other than me!) was under-paid in the manufacture process. (though I am starting to get the guilts about where my fabric comes from, and the chemicals that are used in the process)

I have finally braved up to tackling a Burda Style magazine pattern... for those of you unfamiliar with Burda, this is what the patterns com like:
Not for the feint hearted! Always up for a challenge, I have decided to dive straight in, and tackle this jacket:

I am going to leave it unlined, as there really is no need for extra layers here in Queensland. In fact, it is pretty silly of me to make a jacket coming into summer, but I never promised to be sensible!

I will be learning some new techniques with this project, including: standing collar, welt pocket, flap pocket and bicep alteration. Fabric choices to come soon...

3 comments:

  1. http://3hourspast.blogspot.com/2010/03/full-bicep-pattern-alteration-tutorial.html The alteration, hope this helps. I've been so busy with the holiday, please forgive the delay.

    I suggest Kenneth King's Cool Couture, he is a great reference book for more advanced techniques. I use his book all the time. I'll set one aside for you, I think there's only one kicking around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, I don't expect you to puzzle it out at home. Just so you know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steph :) you are a star as always!

    BTW for some reason my hands always seem to type Stef... and then I have to go back and change it!

    ReplyDelete