Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Up-cycle

I have been reflecting on my wardrobe choices of late. While the garments that i make are bright, light and breezy, everything I have purchased lately seems to be in shades of grey.

I think that this is a sub-conscious reaction to my discovery of fit and fabric, and my disappointment with the clothing industry and it's laziness and lack of care.

We all need clothes. Just as we all need medications (at some point). My time working in pharmacy has taught me the value of 'duty of care'. The medical industry has a duty of care to make sure that what you buy 'fits' you.

Once upon a time the clothing industry also carried this duty of care. Every garment was made for the individual, taking into account their wants and needs, and ensuring that it was size perfect.
Definately NOT size perfect
I can't help but be disappointed with the industry now. So I have a duty of care to myself (and my fellow creators) (I can't bring myself to write sewers... I am not a sewage pipe!!!). I will keep going until my wardrobe is filled with bright, light, breezy pieces that are size perfect for me and my lifestyle, and can up-cycle all those drab, grey disappointing things that are currently swamping it. 

From now on, for every piece I create, I will put an existing piece in the up-cycle pile! Keep tuned to see the swaps...

2 comments:

  1. I like the word "sewist" for just that reason.

    Sometimes it works well to be completely ruthless, and get rid of those old clothes. Give them away, cut them up for rags, or stick them in storage. If you get them out of storage in 6 months and still want them, then you know they're keepers.

    I think back when the clothing industry still made individual garments for people, it wasn't exactly an industry. Dressmakers and tailors built their reputation on fit, and they charged according to their skill level. A roaring trade existed in high-quality garments made for someone else which were slightly (or decades) out of fashion. So poorer types wore ill-fitting, out-of-fashion clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true. Thanks for reminding me. It is hard for us to imaging what it must have been like to be poor in times gone by. The majority of people have the opportunity to have a wardrobe of clothes these days - it is all too easy to forget that not so long ago, owning more than one or two dresses was a luxury

    ReplyDelete