Wednesday, January 5, 2011

break of the sewing drought

Life has been so crazy hectic the last few months, that I lost my sewing mojo for a while. But, life is sorting itself out, and I'm back! I have put the jacket aside for a while - the heat here makes it impossible for me to even think about sewing that jacket; though I should take a leaf from Steph's book (or blog should I say) and make a breezy summer weight jacket for protecting my English skin... one day.

It took a trip to a friends air-conditioned house for me to even attempt to trace off a burda pattern! It was 30C by 9am. unbearable. May or may not help to explain my lumberjack outfit. You choose.
Attempting to pry the pattern out from its staples
mmmm.... sweet sweet breezy 24C air-conditioned paradise. We are moving soon, so hopefully I will no longer need to swelter in the unit with no breeze. fingers crossed! Hopefully I will also have a better sewing space than this:
It consists of my machine perched on my ironing board lowered to the height of whichever chair/couch I wish to sit on. Here I have taken over the WHOLE living room. What you can't see is the iron on the other end of the board, and the random sewing equipment strewn all over the couch and floor :) lucky my husband loves me, huh?!?!

I am making a fairly simple fake wrap dress, with some $2/m poly knit I got in a sale. All up it will only cost $3 in materials to make, and I love the pattern, but I am not totally happy about the poly-ness of it. It is only knee-length, so surely some air will get up for circulation?? I have a floor length dress in similar fabric that feels like wearing a plastic bag, so I am not 100% about it.

It's good to be back.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had fun in the air-conditioning :)

    Your house looks like a crazy hot mess but being creative trumps mess :)

    I'm a lumberjack and i'm okay!!

    -Sabrina

    ReplyDelete